Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Kebra Negast


After reading the text given on Moodle I definitely see Ethiopia as a more significant country than I did before. I'll be honest, before this when I thought of Ethiopia I thought of Sally Struthers talking about starving children. Yea, I know its terribly ignorant and 'American' of me, but its seriously what I thought of. Anyways, it's changed now, and not just from the reading but also the slide show we saw in class.

Ethiopia plays a large role in Christian and Jewish faiths. The fact that their line of kings descended from king Solomon gives a lot of strength to their country. While Jerusalem is often gone to on pilgrimages, not going to Ethiopia is like only understanding part of one's religion. So this story gives a lot of significance not only to Jews and Christians around the world, it also gives an identity to the peoples of Ethiopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment